where nicster rants on issues of local interest, global interest and of absolutely no interest at all...

Friday, May 13, 2005

10 Years Old

There has been a few things over the past couple of weeks that led up to this post.

1. Me quitting my previous job - I've told many people that being the editor of NewMan was probably the last full time job I'd have for a long time, especially in the editorial industry. I mean, never say never but yeah, I'm quite sick and tired of magazine Publishers in general.

2. I was talking to an ex-colleague, Lily who I didn't know very well until after I left and we were talking about bylines and how we writers really never get sick of seeing our names in print. And for me, it's been ten years since my name first appeared in The Star, and I still never get tired of it.

3. I returned to Kota Kinabalu two days ago - for the first time since 1996. Being there brought back lots of memories - driving around, I remembered the different places I visited and interviewed as part of the BRATs, a young journalist programme organised by The Star.

Yes, I was a BRATs. April 1995, school holidays, I walked up to YMCA not knowing anybody and left a few days later with a whole new bunch of friends who would, and I exagerate not, change the course of my life. That weekend, I got my first byline in Sunday Star.

10 years on - I've worked for more than 5 magazines, started two from scratch and edited three. And I'm only 26. Yeah, so I'm quite proud of myself. And till today, am not sick of seeing my name in print.

What's the purpose of this post? Just to action? Maybe lah. But maybe this is my little pat on my back, just for the fun of it. :) As a writer, after all, it is my tenth year anniversary. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Reta said...

i wanna be just like you one day...and i'm only 24 and haven't started anything. no contacts, no articles, no degree just yet =)

9:10 PM

 
Blogger thquah said...

I envy you man...... I mean ppl that can write well. Cheers and Happy Anniversay of 10 years and many more to come.

11:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sabah has got attractive looking people. Like me. ;)

leon

2:54 PM

 
Blogger ngxuwai@gmail.com said...

hey i hope to write this post too in the near?- err...well a tad bit far future laH...=P

1:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home