where nicster rants on issues of local interest, global interest and of absolutely no interest at all...

Monday, May 02, 2005

RIP: Krishen Jit

I didn't know Krishen very well.

Sure, he's always been there. At every show he directed that I've watched, I walk in and he's already sitting at the side waiting for the auditorium to fill up and the show to start. I've met him several time, but rarely said more than a "Hello" to him. Truth be told - Krishen scared me. He appeared intimidating even.

In fact, my most personal memory of Krishen would have to be sitting behind him at the inaugural Boh Cameronian Arts Awards a few years ago (when he received the Lifetime Achievement Award). Gavin and I, both siting with the Instant Cafe Theatre Company group, started laughing and giggling a bit to the dance show - we just didn't get it. Krishen just turned around, gave us a 'look' and we just shut up immediately.

Fact is, I think I've taken Krishen for granted. For me, this man would always be there (I didn't know how young he was), he seemed almost immortal. And I kept telling myself that one day, I would get the chance to work with him. I had the opportunity a couple of times but I never took it. I wonder if I will regret those choices.

At his funeral yesterday, Bernice hugged me and said: "So wierd lah". I think that three words sums it all up. Krishen has been Malaysian theatre since forever. It's really strange that he's not going to be around anymore.

Jit said that Krishen was "just there. He was the patriach of the theatre world but he wasn't just one moment. Krishen was a constant". I'd like to believe that eventhough he has passed on, that his presence will constantly be with us. And you know what, I have a feeling that that he will. Rest in peace Krishen, we will miss you dearly.

--

If you want to read more about Krishen, check out the numerous articles written about him after his death, including obituories, here and here (and a tribute page here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home